From the Peak Your Profits!® newspaper column by:
Jeff Blackman, J.D., CSP, CPAE
© Blackman & Associates, LLC
RESULTS! That’s the name of the game for you and your business. And if you’re like me, you don’t like to wait for results. Thankfully, your wait is over. You can now improve, enhance, upgrade or jump-start your business, immediately!
If you’re like most businesspeople, you simply don’t have the time or luxury to learn all the crucial essentials of business development:
- customer service
- competing in a changing marketplace, etc.
Plus, you can no longer solve today’s business problems with yesterday’s solutions!
That’s why here, as well as in other columns, I’ll reveal proven, positive and profit-producing business-growth strategies to outdistance your competition and reach new levels of unprecedented success.
RELATIONSHIPS = RESULTS!
Every businessperson I meet, waxes rhapsodic about the importance of “relationships.”
They tell me how their business and success are “built on relationships.” Are they right? You bet! Yet there’s a difference between right and results.
When others talk about “relationships” they refer to whom they know. Their network. Circle of influence. Or internal club. But that ain’t enough! To truly maximize relationships and sales success, two key elements of “relationship power” must exist:
- your little r and
- your BIG R
Your “little r” is traditional relationship-building. It’s your:
The “little r” focuses on your ability to get along. It’s your inherent nature to be warm, caring and compassionate. You’re empathetic to customers, clients and prospects.
People like to do business with people they like. However, “little r” alone is not enough. You also must optimize your “Big R!”
“Big R” focuses on your ability to deliver results! Never forget, people are interested in who you are, (“little r”) and what you can do for them, (“Big R”). One without the other, only assures short-term success.
“Big R” is your ability to be a growth specialist. You, your products, services, company and team have the expertise to help prospects, customers and clients attain a more favorable future and improve their condition by:
- maximizing gain
- reducing loss
- increasing earnings
- slashing costs
- creating enjoyment
- assuring satisfaction
- providing security
- developing pride
- enhancing performance
- producing results
Why is the attrition rate so high in professions that require sales or business-development skills? Because once you “land” your friends and neighbors, who only said “yes” to be “nice” and honor their “little r” commitment, you have no real marketable “Big R” skills to the rest of the world.
Remember, your “little r’s” and “Big R’s” can’t be mutually exclusive. People invest in who you are and what you can do for them.
- Maximize your “little r” relationship power: e-mail or send a prospect, customer or client an article or some other “goodie” that’s of value to their professional or personal interests.
- Optimize your “Big R” relationship power: take a continuing education course in-person or online, listen to a business audio CD or podcast, watch a video or DVD on a skill you’d like to upgrade, read a new business book, etc.
- Invite a prospect / client / network influencer to breakfast or lunch, or to your office for a special products or service showcase or tour, or educational offering, i.e., a “lunch and learn,” etc.
- Use e-mail, audio and video as simple and effective strategies to stay-in-touch. Do an Internet search or create Google Alerts on a customers’ and prospects’ business or hobby and send them on-target info. Or create an ongoing e-zine or blog with direct applicability to your business and your customers’ and prospects’ success. This captures lots of interested eyeballs on a regular basis. Plus, it builds powerful “mind share.” And that, drives revenue and profits!
- Remember, you’re compensated for what you do, not what you know. So when all is said and done, more should not be said than done. Take action!
CUSTOMER SERVICE: No Snow Job! →
Byline: Jeff Blackman
Jeff is a Hall of Fame speaker, best selling author, success coach, broadcaster and lawyer. His clients call him a “business-growth specialist.” If you hire speakers, please contact Sheryl Kantor at: 847.998.0688 or [email protected]. And visit jeffblackman.com to learn more about his other business-growth tools and to subscribe to Jeff’s FREE e-letter, The Results Report. Jeff’s Amazon bestselling books include; Stop Whining! Start Selling!, the 5th edition of Peak Your Profits and the recently published, (December, 2022), BULLSEYE! Hitting Your Targets at Home and at Work, which became a best seller within four days of its release. You can also stay connected with Jeff via Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter: @BlackmanResults